Modern plumbing systems are truly a wonder. You get hot and cold water on demand and waste flows away. However, plumbing systems do break down on occasion. Knowing a few plumbing maintenance tips can keep your water and waste flowing as it should.
Maintaining Your Plumbing System
Keeping your plumbing in good shape involves a bit of knowledge and some DIY skill:
- Know how to turn off the water and where the sewer valve is. If you have a main plumbing line start leaking, you need to shut off the water fast. Knowing where the main shut-off valve is can save you from a soggy mess. You also need to know where the sewer valve is to save time in cleaning out a clogged sewer line.
- Keep an eye out for minor plumbing problems. Most plumbing issues start out very small. Catching them early will prevent major problems from developing later.
- Repair plumbing problems as soon as you find them. Putting off those minor plumbing fixes can lead to major problems. A dripping sink trap is easy to fix. A major crack in the drain pipe or cleaning up mildew growth is not.
- Keep your plumbing safe during a Massachusetts winter. Frozen pipes happen in the cold New England winters. However, you can take steps to minimize the chances of it happening to you. Insulate pipes. Remove exterior hoses. Let water drip on particularly cold nights.
- Learn how to tackle small problems. Every homeowner should know how to unblock a toilet, fix a dripping faucet, and clear a clogged drain. A few simple tools and a bit of Internet know-how will do the trick.
- Don’t be afraid to call a plumber if you cannot handle a plumbing problem. Some plumbing problems are more than a typical homeowner can handle. Bringing in a professional will get the job done quickly and efficiently.
Keeping the water flowing is easy with these simple plumbing maintenance tips. If you need assistance with your plumbing system, contact us here at Rodenhiser Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning. We provide service in the Route 495/128 area of Massachusetts.