The weather this summer is hot. And your home may be making it difficult to stay comfortable inside. Is your Holliston home ready for the summer? Knowing how to prepare your Holliston home for hot weather will keep you comfortable this summer.
How to Protect and Secure Your Home Against the Heat
What can you do to get your home ready?
- Keep the cool inside by weatherproofing your home. Hot air can get in from the outside through cracks around doors and windows. You can use caulk to seal any openings around frames. Weatherstripping provides protection around the moving parts of windows and doors.
- Have your HVAC system checked. Like most mechanical equipment, your A/C needs routine maintenance to work smoothly. Once a year, have an HVAC professional do a tune-up and inspection.
- Change your air filters regularly. Your air filters help your HVAC run smoothly and efficiently. When they get clogged, it can decrease the system’s efficiency.
- Use your ceiling fans, in the right direction. During the summer, your ceiling fans should rotate counterclockwise for the best movement of air. The movement of the air will make your skin feel cooler and let you turn the A/C up a few degrees. If you don’t have ceiling fans, install them this summer.
- Put your drapes to work. When the sun is streaming in your windows, it is heating up your home. Use your drapes to keep the heat at bay. If you don’t have insulated drapes, consider installing them. They can make a real difference in how comfortable your home is.
- Get a programmable thermostat. You can program the thermostat to have your home nice and cool when you are there, and save money when you are not there.
Once you know how to prepare your home for hot weather, you can enjoy the fun that summer brings. And there is a bonus. Many of the things you do for the summer will translate to better comfort in the colder months. If you need someone to inspect your HVAC system, contact us here at Rodenhiser Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning.