Your air conditioning is running full blast this summer. If you haven’t already thought about maintaining your A/C, you need to start thinking about it right now. AC maintenance is critical for keeping your cooling costs down, repair needs to a minimum, and system life to the max.
Important Things to Know About Maintaining Your A/C
Here is a list of things you need to do to keep your A/C running this summer:
- Change your air filters every month. Air conditioning units require a steady flow of air to run efficiently. The air filters help keep that air clear of dust and debris. But a clogged filter makes the A/C struggle. Simply changing the filter once a month will enhance efficiency and improve your indoor air quality at the same time.
- Clear weeds and debris away from the outside unit. Like the inside air blower, the outdoor compressor unit needs clear air flow to do its job efficiently. Weeds and debris block the flow of air. When mowing the lawn or weeding the garden, take time to clear things away from the outside unit.
- Clean your home’s air supply and return vents. Over time, dust will accumulate in the vents’ fins. You want nothing to impede air flow in and out of the cooling system. At least once a season, use a vacuum hose to clear away dust and debris. Make sure furniture is not blocking the air either.
- Have an annual service performed by a licensed HVAC technician. Like most mechanical systems, A/Cs need tune-ups and service to run efficiently. The technician will check refrigerant levels and make sure the system is tuned properly.
- Update the programming on your thermostat. If your schedule has changed since you last used the thermostat with your A/C, update its programming. If you don’t already have a programmable thermostat, get one installed.
Doing routine maintenance of AC systems will keep them running throughout the summer. If you need your A/C system serviced or have a repair need, contact us here at Rodenhiser Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning.