Cooler weather poses unique risks that have the potential to harm your home. Being proactive about protecting your home in the winter months is the best way to avoid the need for costly repairs. Read on for winter home protection tips that will keep your home safe from common winter hazards.
Winter Home Protection Tips
These winter home protection tips will help you avoid the cost of repairs as the weather gets cold.
- Be proactive about clearing snow from the roof. It’s common for snow to accumulate on the downwind side of a roof; blowing snow will build up in this area. Melting snow can seep into your home and cause significant damage. This buildup of snow may also encourage damaging ice dams to form.
- You probably just ignore snow that builds up around windows, but this moisture can also cause water damage as it melts. Clear it off after snow stops falling to prevent damage from occurring.
- Make sure that the attic isn’t getting too hot. Ventilation is a must to ensure that the attic temperature is close to the outdoor temperature. A warm attic means a warm roof, and warm roofs encourage the formation of ice dams.
- Clear gutters regularly to ensure melting snow and ice has somewhere to drain.
- Make sure melting snow and ice can’t get into your home by sealing cracks before cold weather sets in. Use caulk to seal up holes and cracks.
While these winter home protection tips are able to help you keep your home safe from hazards during the cold season, having professional help never hurts. Contact Rodenhiser Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning today for more information or to schedule an appointment.
Image via Shutterstock.com