Although seasonal maintenance on your air conditioning or other cooling systems is important, some guidelines remain the same whether it’s chilly winter, humid summer, or mild spring and autumn. In particular, maintaining your home’s ductwork is essential to keeping your home comfortable. At the same time, duct sealing will also raise energy efficiency and lower utility bills.
Ducts circulate warmed or cooled air throughout homes with forced-air systems and so are often hidden within walls, ceilings and uninsulated spaces. Repairing them can be difficult, but as much as a fifth of conditioned air can be lost through leaks or poor connections.
What Are the Benefits?
A well-designed and maintained duct system will keep your home comfortable, energy efficient and even safer in the long run. Some of the primary benefits include:
- Duct sealing and insulating will maintain air circulation and prevent individual rooms from getting too hot or too cold.
- It will improve indoor air quality by keeping chemical fumes, dust and other pollutants out of the air circulation system.
- Sealed ductwork will prevent backdrafting, where combustion gases released by certain appliances leak back into living spaces.
- Maintenance will save money by increasing energy efficiency and lowering utility bills, especially for new heating and cooling equipment.
- A well-sealed duct system prevents environmental harm by lowering energy use and decreasing pollution generated by the power plants creating that energy.
What Can I Do?
You can take a few simple steps, beginning by sealing leaks in accessible ductwork with mastic sealant or metal tape. You can also ensure that connections between vents and registers and floors, walls, and ceilings are well-sealed. Beyond that, consult a professional for:
- Inspection of the whole duct system.
- Evaluation of the supply and return air balance.
- Repair or replacement of damaged or disconnected ductwork.
- Sealing of leaks and connections with metal tape or an aerosol sealant.
For more expert advice on duct sealing and maintaining the energy comfort of your home in the Route 495/128 area, including how to create the ultimate energy-efficient home, contact Rodenhiser Plumbing, Heating, and Air Conditioning today.
Image via Shutterstock.com